A benign pigmented lesion: A case of black hairy tongue
Black hairy tongue is a benign, usually self-restricting and asymptomatic condition, and is characterized by hypertrophy of filiform papillae on the dorsum of the tongue. Even though it is very common, it’s rarely diagnosed. The symptoms are not limited to black discoloration of the tongue, as the color may also be yellow, brown, green or blue. Poor oral hygiene, smoking, consummation of tea, coffee and alcohol and some medication are believed to be responsible for its etiology. In this paper, a black hairy tongue case wherein the patient had increased inflammation after the use of clarithromycin in our outpatient clinic is presented. With only oral hygiene improvement as treatment, regression of the black discoloration on the tongue is observed.
- Gurvits G, Tan A. Black hairy tongue syndrome. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20(31): 10845-50.
- Del Barrio-Díaz P, Meza-Romero R, Vera-Kellet C. Black Hairy Tongue. J Gen Intern Med 2017 Nov;32(11):1266.
- Thompson DF, Kessler TL. Drug-induced black hairy tongue. Pharmacotherapy 2010 Jun;30(6):585-93.
- Alfreijat M. Tongue hyperpigmentation associated with chemotherapy. Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives 2013 Dec;3:3-4, 21047.
- Schlager E, Claire C, Ashack K. Khachemoune A. Black Hairy Tongue: Predisposing factors, diagnosis, and treatment. Am J Clin Dermatol 2017; 18(4):563-69.
- Pigatto PD, Spadari F, Meroni L, Guzzi G. Black hairy tongue associated with long-term oral erythromycin use. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2008 Nov;22(10):1269-70.
- Perrin E, Ota KS. Tongue lesion with sensation of fullness in the mouth. Am Fam Physician 2011 Apr;83(7):839-40.
- Kannan S, Muthusamy S, Chandrasekaran B, Gopal D, Sidhu P. Black hairy tongue in older edentulous individuals. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014 May;62(5):992-4.
- T.C. Yargıtay Hukuk Genel Kurulu Esas No:2005/208 Karar No:2005/262 13.04.2005. https://www.kararara.com/forum/
- viewtopic.php?t=29028 sayfasından 04.09.2019 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Akcaboy M, Sahin S, Zorlu P, Senel S. Ranitidine-induced black tongue: A case report. Pediatr Dermatol 2017;00:1–3. Tamam L, Annagur BB. Black hairy tongue associated with olanzapine treatment: a case report. Mt Sinai J Med 2006 Oct;73(6):891-4.
- Sow ML, Moukafih B, Balde S, Elkhoyaali S, Chaibi A, Abahssain H, et al. Vinorelbine and carboplatin-induced black tongue: A case report. Therapie 2019 Jul; S0040-5957(19):30102-7.