A patient with pre-excitation syndrome who applied to family practice office for pre-accession examination for sports: A case report
Pre-accession examination in sports is an important issue that increases the responsibility for family medicine practice. Heart conduction disorders are among causes of sudden death in sports. Wolf-Parkinson White syndrome is an example of short PR syndromes presenting with a short PR interval in the electrocardiogram (ECG) . In this case, a short PR syndrome was detected in the ECG of a 14-year-old girl with no previous complaints and came for a pre-accession examination in the family medicine clinic. The patient was referred to a cardiologist and there she received ablation therapy subsequently. Within the context of this case, we aimed to emphasize the importance of cardiac evaluation in family practice, in patients who applied for pre-accession examination for sports.
Key words: Family practice, pre-excitation syndromes, sports, physical examination.
- Karaoğuz R, Güldal M. Preeksitasyon Sendromları. Türkiye Klinikleri Journal of Medical Sciences. 1989;9 (1): 15-23.
- Porter MJ, Morton JB, Denman R, Lin AC, Tierney S, Santucci PA, et al. Influence of age and gender on the mechanism of supraventricular tachycardia. Heart Rhythm. 2004;1(4): 393-6.
- Aydın M, Bilik MZ, Yıldız A, Özbek H, İslamoğlu Y. Wolf Parkinson White sendromuna tipik atriyoventriküler nodal reentran taşikardinin eşlik ettiği olgu. Fırat Tip Dergisi. 2015; 20(4).
- Akalın F. Sporcularda ani ölüm. Türk Pediatri Arşivi. 2006; 41: 131-8.
- Corrado D, Pelliccia A, Bjørnstad HH, Vanhees L, Biffi A, Borjesson M, et al. Cardiovascular pre-participation screening of young competitive athletes for prevention of sudden death: proposal for a common European protocol. European Heart Journal. 2005; 26(5): 516-24.
- Kavukcu E. Erkeklerde spora katılım öncesi genel muayeneler. Türkiye Klinikleri Journal of Family Medicine Special Topics. 2016; 7(4): 6-10.
- ÖZDEN A. Psikososyal sağlık ve egzersiz. Türkiye Klinikleri Journal of Physiotherapy and Rehabilitation-Special Topics. 2016; 2(1): 122-6.
- Finocchiaro G, Papadakis M, Robertus J-L, Dhutia H, Steriotis AK, Tome M, et al. Etiology of sudden death in sports: insights from a United Kingdom regional registry. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2016; 67(18): 2108-15.
- Corrado D, Basso C, Pavei A, Michieli P, Schiavon M, Thiene G. Trends in sudden cardiovascular death in young competitive athletes after implementation of a preparticipation screening program. Jama. 2006; 296(13): 1593-601.
- Yıldırım I, Özer S, Karagöz T, Şahin M, Özkutlu S, Alehan D, et al. Erken çocukluk döneminde Wolff-Parkinson-White sendromu tanısı alan hastaların klinik ve elektrofizyolojik değerlendirilmesi. çocuk Sağlığı ve Hastalıkları Dergisi. 2014; 57 (1).