Celiac disease suspected due to chronic iron deficiency anemia: Two case reports from the same family
Celiac disease is an autoimmune disease caused by gluten in genetically predisposed individuals. In addition to classical symptoms, it may occur at any age with atypical findings affecting many systems. The most common extraintestinal finding is iron deficiency anemia. The prevalence of the disease of first-degree relatives of celiac patients was higher than the general population. Anti-gliadin, anti-endomysium and anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies are first used in the diagnosis. The gold standard is the small intestine biopsy. The risk of complication development is reduced with early diagnosis, diet and replacement therapy. The clinic can be very variable. Therefore, it is very important to suspect the diagnosis of family physicians working in primary care. In this paper, were reported two cases from the same family who were application to family medicine outpatient clinic with diarrhea and abdominal pain in addition to chronic iron deficiency anemia, were diagnosed in adult.
- Dalgıç B, Sarı S, Özcan B, Baştürk B, Ensari A, Eğritaş Ö, Bükülmez A, Barış Z, Türk Çölyak Çalışma Grubu. Türk çocuklarında Çölyak hastalığı ile ilişkili olası etmen ve belirtilerin değerlendirilmesi. Türk Pediatri Arşivi Dergisi 2011;46:323-30.
- Yanar Ö, Durmaz Ö, Gökçay G. Atipik başlangıçlı Çölyak hastalığı. Çocuk Dergisi 2013;13(3):126-30.
- Hacı İA, Kuyum P, Çakar S, Işık İ, Arslan N. Presenting symptoms of pediatric patients with Celiac disease. Abant Med J 2015;4(2):146-50.
- Akın M, Songür Y, Aksakal G. Clinical and laboratory features and, extraintestinal manifestations of Celiac disease in adults. J Clin Anal Med 2012;3(2):194-7.
- Hopper AD, Hadjivassiliou M, Butt S, Sanders DS. Adult coeliac disease. BMJ 2007;335(7619):558-62.
- Çekin AH, Çekin Y, Sezer C. Celiac disease prevalence in patients with iron deficiency anemia, Turk J Gastroenterol 2012;23(5):490-5.
- Kutlu R, Büyükyörük C, Oltulu P. Anemi etiyolojisi ile 56 yaşında tespit edilen Çölyak hastalığı. Genel Tıp Derg 2014;24:64-7.
- Mishra A, Prakash S, Kaur G, et al. Prevalence of Celiac disease among first-degree relatives of Indian celiac disease patients. Dig Liver Dis 2016;48(3):255-9.
- Shahraki T, Hill I. Prevalence of Celiac disease in first-degree relative of children in Sistan and Baluchestan province. J Dig Dis 2016;17(10):685-91.
- Singh I, Agnihotri A, Sharma A, et al. Patients with Celiac disease may have normal weight or may even be overweight. Indian J Gastroenterol 2016;35(1):20-4.
- Conti L, Lahner E, Galli G, Esposito G, Carabotti M, Annibale B. Risk factors associated with the occurrence of autoimmune diseases in adult Coeliac patients. Gastroenterol Res Pract 2018;2018:3049286.