Life commited to game: A short look to internet gaming disorder upon a case report
The activity of play has been ever present in human history and the internet has emerged as a new popular playground for most of the children and youth. As research suggests that a minority of internet game players experience symptoms traditionally associated with substance-related addictions, the fifth revision of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5) includes a condition known as Internet Gaming Disorder (IGD) in Section III, “Conditions for Further Study.” Although IGD has become a popular topic for researchers, still little is known about it. The aim of this review is to present a case of 12-year-old boy referred to our clinic as a judicial case and diagnosed as IGD and comorbid depression and to summarize the available data about the prevalance, risk factors, course and treatment of the disorder upon this case.
Key words: DSM V, internet gaming disorder, child, adolescent, related conditions
- TUİK Hanehalkı Bilişim Teknolojileri Kullanım Araştırması 2015. http://www.tuik.gov.tr /PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=18660 adresinden 16.06.2016 tarihinde indirilmiştir.
- TUİK 06-15 Yaş Grubu Çocuklarda Bilişim Teknolojileri Kullanımı Ve Medya, 2013. http://www.tuik.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id= 15866 adresinden 16.06.2016 tarihinde indirilmiştir.
Goldberg I. Internet addiction disorder, 1995. http://www-usr.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber /supportgp.html adresinden 16.06.2016 tarihinde indirilmiştir.
- Czincz J, Hechanova R. Internet addiction: Debating the diagnosis. Journal of Technology in Human Services 2009; 27:4, 257–272. DOI:10.1080/15228830903329815
- Frances AJ, Widiger T. Psychiatric diagnosis: Lessons from the DSM-IV past and cautions for the DSM-5 future. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology 2012; 8, 109–130.
- Pies R. Should DSM-V designate “internet addiction” a mental disorder? Psychiatry 2009; 6, 31–37.
Kuss DJ, Griffiths MD. Internet gaming addiction. Int J Ment Health Addiction 2012; 10: 278-96.
American Psychiatric Association. Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders fifth edition DSM-5TM. Arlington: American Psychiatric Association; 2013.
- Petry NM, Rehbein F, Gentile DA et al. An international consensus for assessing Internet gaming disorder using the new DSM-5 approach. Addiction 2014; 109(9): 1399–406.
- Rehbein F, Kleimann M, Mößle T et al. Prevalence of Internet gaming disorder in German adolescents: diagnostic contribution of the nine DSM-5 criteria in a statewide representative sample. Addiction 2015; 110(5): 842–51.
- Lemmens JS, Valkenburg PM, Gentile DA. The Internet gaming disorder scale. Psychol Assess 2015; 27(2): 567-82. doi: 10.1037/pas0000062. Petry NM, Rehbein F, Ko CH et al. Internet Gaming Disorder in the DSM-5. Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2015; 17(9):72. doi: 10.1007/s11920-015-0610-0.
Choo H, Gentile DA, Sim T et al. Pathological video-gaming among Singaporean youth. Ann Acad Med Singap. 2010; 39(11):822–9.
- Desai RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Cavallo D et al. Video-gaming among high school students: health correlates, gender differences, and problematic gaming. Pediatrics. 2010; 126(6): e1414–24.
- Mentzoni RA, Brunborg GS, Molde H, Myrseth H, Skouverøe KJ, Hetland J, Pallesen S. Problematic video game use: estimated prevalence and associations with mental and physical health. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 2011; 14(10): 591–6.
- Festl R, Scharkow M, Quandt T. Problematic computer game use among adolescents, younger and older adults. Addiction. 2013; 108(3): 592–9.
- Gentile DA. Pathological video-game use among youth ages 8 to 18: a national study. Psychol Sci. 2009; 20(5): 594–602.
- Van Rooij AJ, Schoenmakers TM, Vermulst AA, Van den Eijnden RJ, Van de Mheen D. Online video game addiction: identification of addicted adolescent gamers. Addiction. 2010; 106(1): 205–12.
Van Rooij AJ, Kuss DJ, Griffiths MD, Shorter GW, Schoenmakers MT, Van de Mheen D. The (co-)occurrence of problematic video gaming, substance use, and psychosocial problems in adolescents. J Behav Addict 2014; 3(3): 157–65.
- Lemmens JS, Valkenburg P, Peter J. Development and validation of a game addiction scale for adolescents. Media Psychol 2009; 12:77–95.
Rehbein F, Kleimann M, Mössle T. Prevalence and risk factors of video game dependency in adolescence: results of a German nationwide survey. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 2010; 13(3): 269–77.
Ko CH, Yen JY, Chen CS, Yeh YC, Yen CF. Predictive values of psychiatric symptoms for Internet addiction in adolescents: A 2-year prospective study. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 2009; 163(10):937–43.
Esen E, Siyez DM. Ergenlerde internet bağımlılığını yordayan psiko-sosyal değişkenlerin incelenmesi. Türk Psikolojik Danışma ve Rehberlik Dergisi 2011; 4 (36); 127-138.
- Walther B, Morgenstern M, Hanewinkel R. Co-occurrence of addictive behaviours: Personality factors related to substance use, gambling and computer gaming. Eur Addict Res. 2012; 18(4): 167–74.
- Gentile DA, Choo H, Liau A, Sim T, Li D et al. Pathological video game use among youths: a two-year longitudinal study. Pediatrics. 2011; 127(2):e319–29.Scharkow M, Festl R, Quandt T. Longitudinal patterns of problematic computer game use among adolescents and adults—a 2-year panel study. Addiction 2014; 109:1910–7.
- Han DH, Lee YS, Na C et al. The effect of methylphenidate on Internet video game play in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Compr Psychiatry 2009; 50(3): 251-6.
- Cash H, Rae CD, Steel AH, Winkler A. Internet addiction: a brief summary of research and practice. Curr Psychiatr Rev 2012; 8(4): 292-8.
- Koo C, Wati Y, Lee CC, Oh HY. Internet-addicted kids and South Korean government efforts: boot-camp case. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw 2011; 14(6): 391–4.
- Rumpf HJ, Tao R, Rehbein F, Petry NM. Internet addiction: A future addictive disorder? In Petry NM. Behavioral addictions: DSM-5 and beyond. Oxford University Press 2015, p: 71-99.
Du YS, Jiang W, Vance A. Longer term effect of randomized, controlled group cognitive behavioural
- herapy for Internet addiction in adolescent students in Shanghai. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 2010; 44(2): 129–34. Young KS. Cognitive behavior therapy with Internet addicts: treatment outcomes and implications. Cyberpsychol Behav. 2007; 10(5): 671–9.
- Arısoy Ö. İnternet Bağımlılığı ve Tedavisi. Psikiyatride Güncel Yaklaşımlar. Current Approaches in Psychiatry 2009; 1: 55-67.