Unilateral periocular hemorrhage caused by flurbiprofen: A rare drug side effect
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs are often used in various indications. The side effects of these drugs are also must well known. In this study, we aimed to present a case report of a 50-year-old female with unilateral periocular hemorrhage after taking 100 mg oral flurbiprofen. Computerized tomography and magnetic resonance imaging were performed to distinguish differential diagnosis causing periocular hemorrhage on ophthalmic examination. The absent of all kind of trauma was questioned in detail. In the imaging, only soft-tissue edema around the left eye was observed. Laboratory values were normal except a mild elevation of the lactate dehydrogenase and c-reactive protein. Symptomatic treatment was planned. In the follow-up visit; control biochemical and hematologic parameters were normal. Periocular hemorrhage was regressed. Hemorrhagic skin lesions should be kept in mind as a rare drug side effect of flurbiprofen.
- Kavoussi SC, Pasco CA, Mears KA, Levin F, Servat JJ. Spontaneous periocular ecchymosis in children: differential diagnosis and current trends in evaluation and management. J Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2014;5(3):343.
- Calapai G, Imbesi S, Cafeo V, Ventura Spagnolo E, Minciullo P, Caputi A, et al. Fatal hypersensitivity reaction to an oral spray of flurbiprofen: a case report. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics 2013;38(4):337-8.
- Giovannini M, Sarti L, Barni S, Pucci N, Novembre E, Mori F. Anaphylaxis to over-the-counter flurbiprofen in a child. Pharmacology 2017;99(3-4):121-3.
- Di Meo N, Stinco G, Patrone P, Trevisini S, Trevisan G. Acute localized exanthematous pustulosis caused by flurbiprofen. Cutis 2016;98(5):E9-E11.
- Balta I, Simsek H, Simsek G. Flurbiprofen-induced generalized bullous fixed drug eruption. Human & Experimental Toxicology 2014;33(1):106-8.
- Sendur M, Aksoy S, Ozdemir N, Yaman S, Zengin N. Flurbiprofen-induced unilateral eyelid angioedema. Cutis 2014;94(4):E12.
- Mehra K, Rupawala A, Gogtay N. Immediate hypersensitivity reaction to a single oral dose of flurbiprofen. Journal of Postgraduate Medicine 2010;56(1):36.
- Abdel-Aziz A, Al-Badr A, Hafez GA. Profiles of drug substances, excipients and related methodology. In: Brittain HG, editor. Flurbiprofen. 1st edition. San Diego; Elseiver. 2012. p. 113-83.
- Jian M, Li X, Wang A, Zhang L, Han R, Gelb A. Flurbiprofen and hypertension but not hydroxyethyl starch are associated with post-craniotomy intracranial haematoma requiring surgery. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2014;113(5):832-9