Hypotiroidism, obesity and depression: Rings of the chain
Objective: In this study, we aimed to determine the frequency of depression in normal weight, overweight and obese patients and to identify chronic diseases related to depression in obese patients.
Methods: The cross-sectional study included 200 obese patients with follow-up at the Obesity Center of the Health Sciences University Antalya Training and Research Hospital between November 2018 and September 2019, and 190 nor-mal and overweight patients who applied to Family Medicine Clinic and agreed to fill the Beck Depression Scale (BDI). Patients who were divided into three groups as normal weight, overweight and obese were compared in terms of BDI scores; chronic diseases which increase the risk of depression among obese patients were researched. Seventeen and above BDI sco-res were evaluated as clinical depression.
Results: 81.5% of the patients were female and 18.5% were male. The mean age was 45.4±12.6 years. The mean BDO score and the frequency of depression was significantly higher in obese patients (p<0.001). Patients with depressive symptoms had higher body mass index (BMI) (p<0.001) than those without and chronic diseases were more common in said patients. Especially in patients with severe depressive symptoms, the rate of accompanying hypothyroidism was found to be significantly higher. Multivariate logistic regression analysis showed that depression had a positive relationship with BMI and hypothyroidism in obese patients.
Conclusion: It is found that obese patients, especially accompanied by hypothyroidism are at greater risk for depression. Individuals with obesity and hypothyroidism who are at risk for depression should be handled in an integrative approach, and the relationship between hypothyroidism-obesity-depression should be broken by effective treatment.
- TEMD Obezite, Lipid Metabolizması, Hipertansiyon Çalışma Grubu. Obezite Tanı ve Tedavi Kılavuzu 2019, 8. baskı. Ankara, Türkiye Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği, 2019.
- Mokdad AH, Ford ES, Bowman BA ve ark. Prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and obesityrelated health risk factors, 2001. JAMA 2003; 289: 76-9.
- WHO. Obesity and overweight. www.who.int/news-room/factsheets/detail/obesity-and-overweight adresinden 16.12.2019 tarihinde indirilmiştir.
- Elbi Mete H. Kronik hastalık ve depresyon. J Clin Psy 2008; 11(Ek 3): 3-18.
- Zeyda M, Stulnig TM. Obesity, inflammation, and insulin resistance -a mini-review. Gerontology 2009; 55: 379-86.
- Ferrante AW. Obesity-induced inflammation: a metabolic dialogue in the language of inflammation. J Intern Med 2007; 262(4): 408-14.
- Iob E, Kirschbaum C, Steptoe A. Persistent depressive symptoms, HPA-axis hyperactivity, and inflammation: the role of cognitive-affective and somatic symptoms. Mol Psychiatr 2019. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41380-019-0501-6.
- Vaccarino V, Johnson BD, Sheps DS ve ark. Depression, inflammation, and incident cardiovascular disease in women with suspected coronary ischemia: the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute-sponsored WISE study. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007; 50: 2044-50.
- Bremmer MA, Beekman AT, Deeg DJ ve ark. Inflammatory markers in late-life depression: results from a population-based study. J Affect Disord 2008; 106: 249-55.
- Lucassen EA, Cizza G. The hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, obesity, and chronic stress exposure: sleep and the HPA axis in obesity. Curr Obes Rep 2012; 1: 208-15.
- Keller J, Gomez R, Williams G ve ark. HPA Axis in Major Depression: Cortisol, Clinical Symptomatology, and Genetic Variation Predict Cognition. Mol Psychiatry 2017; 22: 527-36.
- Webb MA, Davies M, Ashra N ve ark. The association between depressive symptoms and insulin resistance, inflammation and adiposity in men and women. PLoS One 2017; 12: e0187448.
- Lee JH, Park SK, Ryoo JH ve ark. The association between insulin resistance and depression in the Korean general population. J Affect Disord 2017; 208: 553-9.
- Luppino FS, de Wit LM, Bouvy PF ve ark. Overweight, obesity, and depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studies. Arch Gen Physiciatry 2010; 67: 220-9.
- Huang CQ, Dong BR, Lu ZC, Yue JR, Liu QX. Chronic diseases and risk for depression in old age: A meta-analysis of published literatüre. Ageing Res Rev 2010; 9: 131-41.
- Egede LE. Major depression in individuals with chronic medical disorders: prevalence, correlates and association with health resource utilization, lost productivity and functional disability. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 2007; 29: 409-16.
- Chapman DP, Perry GS, Strine TW. The vital link between chronic disease and depressive disorders. Prev Chronic Dis 2005; 2: 1-10.
- Hisli N. Beck Depresyon Envanterinin üniversite ögrencileri için geçerliliği, güvenilirliği. Psikoloji Dergisi 1989; 7: 3-13.
- Akbaş M, Akça E, Şenoğlu A, Gökyıldız Sürücü Ş. Yenidoğan yoğun bakım ünitesinde bebeği yatan anne-babaların anksiyete ve depresyon düzeylerinin incelenmesi. STED 2019; 28: 87-97.
- Salık S, Çakmak S, Uğuz Ş. Tedavi almamış major depresyon hastalarında erken dönemde bilişsel işlevler. J Clin Psy 2019; 22: 408-15.
- Pratt LA, Brody DJ. Depression and Obesity in the U.S. Adult Household Population, 2005–2010. NCHS Data Brief 2014 Oct; 167:1-8.
- Karagöl A, Özçürümez G, Nar A, Taşkıntuna N. Association of body mass index with depression and alexithymia. Anadolu Psikiyatri Derg 2014; 15: 207-13.
- Emre N, Öner M. Kırsalda yaşayan kadınlarda yaşam kalitesi ve ruhsal durum ilişkisi. Türk Aile Hek Derg 2018;22:176-84.
- Değirmenci T, Kalkan Oğuzhanoğlu N, Sözeri Varma G, Özdel O, Fenkçi S. Obezitede psikolojik belirtiler ve ilişkili etmenler. Arch Neuropsychiatr 2015; 52: 42-6.
- Çakmur H, Güneş ÜB. Poliklinik başvurularında obezite ve depresyon ilişkisinin incelenmesi. Türk Aile Hek Derg 2018; 22(2): 58-65.
- Crisp AH, Queenan M, Sittampaln Y, Harris G. Jolly fat revisited. J Psychosom Res 1980; 24: 233-41.
- Mohammad MY, Bushulaybi NA, AIHumam AS ve ark. Prevalence of depression among hypothyroid patients attending the primary healthcare and endocrine clinics of King Fahad Hospital of the University (KFHU). J Family Med Prim Care 2019; 2708-13.
- Tang R, Wang J, Yang L ve ark. Subclinical Hypothyroidism and Depression: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne) 2019; 10: 340.
- Naseem M, Jayakumari C, Nair A, Kumar A, Beegum S. Depression in Hypothyroidism and Risk Factors. Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research 2017; 5: 219478-84
- Du FM, Kuang HY, Duan BH, Liu DN, Yu XY. Effects of thyroid hormone and depression on common components of central obesity. J Int Med Res 2019; 47: 3040-9.