Multiple drug use in elderly in primary care: An example of rural field
Objective: It can be said that the risk of polypharmacy and inappropriate drug use is high in primary care and this situation is often seen in elderly patients. Our aim is determining multiple drug use in elderly and determination of the prevention to be taken according to the results of the study.
Methods: The study is a cross-sectional descriptive type and the research population covers patients aged 65 years and older who applied to the Family Medicine Polyclinic of Karaman Sarıveliler District Integrated Hospital between 15 November 2013 and 15 February 2014. A total of 310 patients aged 65 years and over included in the study. They have received oral informed consent and. 10 patients who had missing information in the survey form were excluded from the study.
Results: A total of 300 patients, 169 female (56.3%) and 131 male (43.7%) were included in the study. The mean age of the patients was 73.05±6.20. 58.3% (n=174) patients were using four or over drugs. The most commonly used medication group is the cardiovascular system drugs with 72.7% (n=218). Sociodemographic characteristics were compared with the number of drugs and there was a significant difference between the sexes (p=0.040). It is observed that women use more drugs than men.
Conclusion: Family physicians responsible for primary care need to be careful about the use of multiple drugs and especially those the drugs that may interact each other while evaluating their patients.
Key words: primary care, polypharmacy, elderly
- Türkiye İstatistik Kurumu. Temel İstatistikler. http://tuik.gov.tr/Ust Menu.do?metod=temelist adresinden 03/03/2018 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Arslan GG, Eşer İ. Self-medication compliance in elderly and nurses role. Ege Üniversitesi Hemşirelik Yüksek Okulu Dergisi 2005;21(2):147-57.
- Arslan Ş, Atalay A, Gökçe Kutsal Y. Yaşlılarda ilaç tüketimi. Turk J Geriatr 2000;3:56-60.
- Azad N, Tierney M, Victor G, Kumar P. Adverse drug events in the elderly population admitted to a tertiary care hospital. J Healthc Manag 2002;47(5):295-305.
- Hanlon JT, Linblad CI, Hajjar ER, McCarthy TC. Update on drug-related problems in the elderly. Am J Geriatr Pharmacother 2003;1(1):38-43.
- Yeşil Y, Cankurtaran M, Kuyumcu ME. Polifarmasi. Klinik Gelişim Dergisi 2012;25:18-23.
- Ferner RE, Aronson JK. Communicating information about drug safety. BMJ 2006;333(7559):143-5.
- Dişcigil G, Tekinç N, Anadol Z, Bozkaya AO. Toplum içinde yaşayan ve bakımevinde kalan yaşlılarda polifarmasi. Turk J Geriatr 2006;9:117-21.
- Qato DM, Alexander GC, Conti RM, Johnson M, Schumm P, Lindau ST. Use of prescription and over-the-counter medications and dietarysupplements among older adults in the United States. JAMA 2008;300(24):2867-78.
- Chrischilles E, Rubenstein L, Van Gilder R, Voelker M, Wright K, Wallace R. Risk factors for adverse drug events in older adults with mobility limitations in the community setting. J Am Geriatr Soc 2007;55(1):29-34.
- Field TS, Gurwitz JH, Harrold LR, et al. Risk factors for adverse drug events among older adults in the ambulatory setting. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004;52(8):1349-54.
- Agostini JV, Han L, Tinetti ME. The relationship between number of medications and weight loss or impaired balance in older adults. J Am Geriatr Soc 2004;52(10):1719-23.
- Magaziner J, Cadigan DA, Fedder DO, Hebel JR. Medication use and functional decline among community dwelling older women. J Aging Health 1989;1(4):470-84.
- Larson EB, Kukull WA, Buchner D, Reifler BV. Adverse drug reactions associated with global cognitive impairment in elderly persons. Ann Intern Med 1987;107:169-73.
- Bahat G, Tufan F, Bahat Z, et al. Comorbidities, polypharmacy, functionality and nutritional status in Turkish community-dwelling female elderly. Aging Clin Exp Res 2014;26(3):255-9.
- TC Sağlık Bakanlığı Sağlık Araştırmaları Genel Müdürlüğü. Sağlık İstatistikleri Yıllığı 2016 Haber Bülteni. http://sbu.saglik.gov.tr/Downloads/sb-2016_saglik-istatistikleri-yilligi.pdf adresinden 06/07/2018 tarihinde indirilmiştir.
- Türkiye İlaç ve Tıbbi Cihaz Kurumu. Yaşlılarda İlaç Kullanımında Güncel Sorunlar Ve Çözüm Önerileri Çalıştayı. www.akilciilac.gov.tr/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Geriatri-Rapor-Son.pdf adresinden 06/07/2018 tarihinde indirilmiştir.
- Sigurdardottir AK, Arnadottir SA, Gunnarsdottir ED. Medication use among community-dwelling older Icelanders. Laeknabladid 2011;97(12):675-80.
- Heuberger RA, Caudell K. Polypharmacy and nutritional status in older adults: a cross-sectional study. Drugs Aging 2011;28(4):315-23.
- Beer C, Hyde Z, Almeida OP, et al. Quality use of medicines and health outcomes among a cohort of community dwelling older men: an observational study. Br J Clin Pharmacol 2011;71(4):592-9.
- Nobili A, Franchi C, Pasina L, et al. Drug utilization and polypharmacy in an Italian elderly population: EPIFARM-elderly project. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 2011;20(5):488-96.
- Onder G, Liperoti R, Fialova D, et al. Polypharmacy in nursing home in Europe: results from the SHELTER study. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2012;67(6):698-704.
- Junius-Walker U, Theile G, Hummers-Pradier E. Prevalence and predictors of polypharmacy among older primary care patients in Germany. Fam Pract 2007;24(1):14-9.
- Şayir ÇD, Karaoğlu SA, Toprak D. Şişli Etfal Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi Aile Hekimliği Polikliniği’ne başvuran 65 yaş üstü hastalarda polifarmasi ve tamamlayıcı tedavi kullanımlarının değerlendirilmesi. Türk Aile Hek Derg 2014;18(1):35-41.
- Öztürk Z, Uğraş KG. Yaşlı hastalarda ilaç kullanımı ve polifarmasi. Tepecik Eğit Hast Derg 2017;27(2):103-8.
- Rieckert A, Trampisch US, Klaaßen-Mielke R, et al. Polypharmacy in older patients with chronic diseases: a cross-sectional analysis of factors associated with excessive polypharmacy. BMC Family Practice 2018;19(1):113.
- Gokce Kutsal Y, Barak A, Atalay A, et al. Polypharmacy in the elderly: a multicenter study. J Am Med Dir Assoc 2009;10(7):486-90.
- Venturini CD, Engroff P, Ely LS, et al. Gender differences, polypharmacy, and potential pharmacological interactions in the elderly. Clinics (Sao Paulo) 2011;66(11):1867-72.
- Hofer-Dückelmann C. Gender and polypharmacotherapy in the elderly: a clinical challenge. Handb Exp Pharmacol 2012;(214):169-82.