First step in dyslipidemia management: Lifestyle modifications according to up-to-date guidelines
Dyslipidemia is almost a prerequisite for cardiovascular diseases that is main cause of death in the world. So, management of dyslipidemia become an important situation. Life style changes are the most important step in dyslipidemia management. It would be appropriate to intervene the lifestyle modification under the sub-headings of diet, alcohol consumption, smoking cessation, exercise and physical activity and weight reduction. Lifestyle modification is the first action to be taken in the case of dyslipidemia. Many guidelines have been published about dyslipidemia management in different countries by different organizations. For many suggestions, there are consensus in these different guidelines but there are also controversial issues. Although all suggestions based on scientific evidence, these controversies arise from differences in interpretation of evidences. Controversies are particularly concentrated in lifestyle modifications because it is quite difficult to conduct studies that give strong and precise results in this area. Nowadays,especially those who are trying to make profit from these controversial issues cause more confusion. The purpose of this review is to evaluate lifestyle modification suggestions of current guidelines after giving brief information on some important points in the management of dyslipidemia.
- Feingold KR, Grunfeld C. Introduction to lipids and lipoproteins. Endotext. South Dartmouth (MA): MDText.com, Inc., 2000. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK305896/sayfasından 09.07.2018 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Insull W. The pathology of atherosclerosis: plaque development and plaque responses to medical treatment. Am J Med 2009;122:3–14.
- Otsuka F, Yasuda S, Noguchi T, Ishibashi-Ueda H. Pathology of coronary atherosclerosis and thrombosis. Cardiovasc Diagn Ther 2016;6:396–408.
- Townsend N, Nichols M, Scarborough P, Rayner M. Cardiovascular disease in Europe — epidemiological update 2015. Eur Heart J 2015;36:2696–705.
- VA/DoD. Clinical practice guıdeline for the management of dyslipidemia for cardiovascular risk reduction. 2014. https://www.healthquality.va.gov/guidelines/CD/lipids/VADoDDyslipidemiaCPG2014.pdf sayfasından 08.07.2018 tarihinde erişilmiştir.
- Jellinger PS, Handelsman Y, Rosenblit PD, et al. American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists And American College Of Endocrinology guidelines for management of dyslipidemia and prevention of cardiovascular disease. Endocr Pract 2017;23:1–87.7. TEMD 2018 Dislipidemi tanı ve tedavi kılavuzu. Türkiye Endokrinoloji ve Metabolizma Derneği. http://www.temd.org.tr/admin/uploads/tbl_gruplar/20180525144116-2018-05-25tbl_gruplar144111.pdf sayfasından 09.07.2018 tarihinde erişilmiştir.8. Catapano AL, GrahamI, De Backer G, et al. 2016 ESC/EAS Guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias. Eur Heart J 2016;37:2999–3058.9. Jacobson TA, Maki KC, Orringer CE, et al. National Lipid Association recommendations for patient-centered management of dyslipidemia: part 2. J Clin Lipidol 2015;9:1–122.10. Jacobson TA, Ito MK, Maki KC, et al. National Lipid Association recommendations for patient-centered management of dyslipidemia: part 1—fullreport. J Clin Lipidol 2015;9:129–69.11. Stone NJ, Robinson JG, Lichtenstein AH, et al. 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014;63:2889–934.12. Eckel RH, Jakicic JM, Ard JD, et al. 2013 AHA/ACC guideline on lifestyle management to reduce cardiovascular risk: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 2014;129:76-99.13. Anderson TJ, Gregoire J, Pearson GJ, et al. 2016 Canadian Cardiovascular Society guidelines for the management of dyslipidemia for the prevention of cardiovascular disease in the adult. Can J Cardiol 2016;32:1263–82.